Ive got the recipe for this Vietnamese salad from my beautiful friend Oceane ..and I fell in love with tender beef, crunchy carrot, fresh salad and spicy rice noodles instantly. I enjoy making this dish because it is delicious, easy to make and it is amazing for summer.
Ingredients (serves 2):
– 200-300g of sliced organic beef (schnizels)
– 1/2 of leek
– 5 tbs of organic oyster sauce*
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1 tsp cane sugar
– juice from 1/2 of organic lemon
– 4-5 tbs of sweet chilli sauce (recipe to make your own here)
– 2 tbs of hot water
– rice noodles
– 2 tbs chopped nuts (almonds or keshu nuts)
– 1 tbs chopped parsley
– 2 thinely sliced carrots
– 1tsp butter
– 1 onion
– 1tsp of oil
– pinch of salt
*oyster sauce and beef is an amazing combination. I use it quite often – marinating meat in oyster sauce is so easy and the flavour is divine! However it is very important that you buy organic oyster sauce with no MSG, no sodium benzoate, no gluten and no modified corn starch. The brand Wok Mei uses cane syrup rather than a refined sugar so I think it is an amazing product.
1. Thinly slice the leek into rings and beef into thin long pieces. Combine both in a big bowl, add oyster sauce and mix well. Set aside and let marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Slice onion very finely. Preheat a frying pan, add olive oil and fry onions with a little bit of salt over a medium heat. Stir occasionaly, do not let onion to burn. After 2-3 minutes add butter and decrease a heat to low. Fry until onions are golden and crunchy.
3. Crush garlic and place it in a small bowl. Add a teaspoon of sugar, lemon juice and stir thoroughly. Add hot water and stir. Pour chilli sauce into the mixture.
4. Place lettuce and sliced carrots onto a big plate.
5. Cook rice noodles. And place them over lettuce and carrots. Pour the chilli mixture over hot noodles.
6. In a big pan fry the marinated meat and leek over a high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer meet into the plate with noodles. (no oil is needed for this step)
7. Decorate your dish with freshly chopped parsley, chopped nuts and crunchy onion.